Monday 20 June 2011

Forget CNN: get Twitter updates on Bangkok and Thailand breaking news here

A few readers have asked for more frequent updates from Thailand Jing Jing in terms of the political situation in Thailand, especially breaking news in Bangkok.

First of all, it was news to me that I had more than two readers so thank you!

May I just say I have absolutely ZERO interest in politics, what colour shirt someone's wearing (unless it's a really cool paisley design or something), or anything to do with the government of any country (especially if the leader looks like Germany's Herr Angela Merkel). Did I say zero interest? I meant an active avoidance ... something on the minus scale. I'm just a humble travel writer.

However ...

I am interested in giving people who travel to Thailand a clear picture on what the situation here is. With no bias, no agenda. Just passing on observations and impressions from one traveller to another. You just want to know is Thailand travel safe, right? Forget those drama queens at CNN and BBC.

As I write this, with just under 2 weeks to go to the July 3 election, I couldn't imagine a more peaceful scene. I am sitting on the veranda of my bungalow at Phi Phi Island Village ... wind rustling gently through the coconut trees, doves cooing in the background and the morning sun kissing my face gently. And this is supposed to be the LOW season.

Within a few days I will be back to Chiang Mai, the so-called Red Shirt Headquarters, where I live. And may I say I've never seen a moment's disruption there either. Sure the flags are waving outside peoples homes but how's that different from the lead up to any other country's election.(oh yeah, in Singapore citizens are  not allowed to display the national flag unless it's August when they celebrate national day, jing jing. Then you probably get busted for NOT displaying the national flag.)

Anyway ...

I will be blogging any news that materially affects your Thailand holidays or enjoyment of major tourist destinations in Thailand in the next few weeks, principally Bangkok (or Bankok as so many people seem to spell it) Pattaya, Phuket, Koh Samui, Hua Hin and Chiang Mai, and any other place you'll likely stumble across on the Thailand map.


PLUS -- and this is a bonus so don't say I never give you anything! -- I will be tweeting Thailand breaking news regularly by retweeting local news and blog sources on the ground here so do follow me on Twitter at Worldsmith360

Meantime, come on in - the water's fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

DO please leave your comments below ... always happy to hear feedback and suggestions from engaging fellow travellers (but if you are an auto-bot kindly $#@& off)