Monday 21 January 2019

Thailand yoga on Koh Samui - finding the 'one'


by Bianca Lucas

I’ve been flirting for years.

I start to get involved then I back off.

I reach a certain level in the relationship and I get scared. Too much work I tell myself. I’m still looking for the right ‘one’.
Well, I found it.

In the beautiful, laid back island of Koh Samui.

The ‘one’ I’m referring to is Ashtanga Yoga.



An energetic flowing sequence of postures that has a focus on synchronising the breath to movement, with the aim being to create a calm, focused mind whilst increasing strength, stamina and flexibility. Just the tonic I needed.

After a bad breakup that left me, well, rather broken, I decided the best course of action was to remove myself physically and mentally from the scene of the crime to a place that would allow me to rest, regroup, get some balance and ultimately some strength back (physically and mentally).

I found my place of respite at the wonderful ‘Yoga Thailand‘, situated on Laem Sor beach, a 45 minute drive south of Koh Samui airport. The yoga (and spa) retreat has an emphasis on eco-friendliness and is set on a picture perfect, coconut palm fringed beach.

The rooms were spacious, light and airy. White washed walls gave one the sense of calmness and relaxation with the fragrance from the frangipanis wafting in from outside my bedroom window.

The bathrooms were clean and modern with lots of natural lighting.

All-in-all I would describe the accommodation as ‘eco-chic’ and rather lovely.

My days consisted of rising early (6.30am), having a herbal tea then going for a contemplative walk along the beach before coming back to meditate in the ‘shala’ on the waterfront.

This was then followed by a 1&1/2 hour Ashtanga Mysore yoga class in the beautiful ‘yoga shala’ that overlooks the meditation garden and salt water swimming pool.

Taking influence from yogi’s from India and Thai Buddhist masters, the shala wasn’t air-conditioned so at times one found oneself very warm - and very sweaty. Moments when the sea breeze wafted in were little moments of heaven.

So was the food. Brunch went for 2 hours following the morning class (I would have 1st breakfast then come back for 2nd and sometimes 3rd breakfast!!) in the open air beach/pool-front restaurant.

Afternoons were spent reading in the beachside lounge, lazing on comfy cushions and alternating between the pool and beach to cool off, snorkelling and trips to nearby islands.

Late afternoons consisted of a gentle, restorative hour yoga class followed by conversation with newly made friends over a nutritious and delicious (chocolate chip cookies were beyond amazing) 3 hour dinner.

I had found the yoga goddess within and I left feeling calm, balanced, happier, a little wiser and definitely stronger. And committed.

It might not have been the ‘one’ I was looking for (or lost) but it is the one I don’t think I could ever live without now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

DO please leave your comments below ... always happy to hear feedback and suggestions from engaging fellow travellers (but if you are an auto-bot kindly $#@& off)